At Tesco Ireland, our purpose is to help serve Ireland's shoppers a little better every day. One of the ways we do this is by helping our customers, our colleagues, their families and our communities live healthier lives
Food is at the heart of our business and delivering affordable, healthy, sustainable food is integrated into our Little Helps Plan. Through the products we sell and the way we sell them, we can help to make it easier to live healthily and promote wellbeing for all.
Making the healthy option easy and enjoyable
Our approach is about making the healthy option easy and enjoyable for our customers and colleagues through helpful actions and advice. Some of the ways in which we're doing this include:
- We’re continuously working to reduce the calories, fat, sugar and salt and increase fruit, veg and fibre content of our products without compromising on taste or quality.
- We are promoting helpful initiatives to encourage customers to make better choices.
- We have taken steps to introducing leaner, healthier choices in our key categories, including Meat, Fish & Poultry, Bakery and Free From, our alternative range to help customers who have dietary needs such as coeliac disease.
- We were the first retailer to remove sweets and chocolate from our checkouts and will continue to maintain this initiative.
- Continuing to provide clear nutritional labelling on our packs.
Customers with dietary and lifestyle needs
We also want to make sure there are no barriers to food choices for our customers with dietary and lifestyle needs. We are proud to have won the Free From Product Range of the Year award at the annual Free From Food Awards, four years in a row.
These Awards celebrate and recognise excellence in the field of Free From food production and supply. As well as the Product Range award, we also took home nine gold, 11 silver, eight bronze and eight merit awards, for a wide range of individual products within the range.
We also have some key partnerships, which aim to encourage participation in healthy initiatives:
Partnering with Swim Ireland, we have pledged to support by providing as many ‘little helps’ as possible to the organisation, its athletes and their families, as well as aiming to increase active participation in swimming throughout the country through a number of joint initiatives which will be rolled out over the life of the partnership. These include Get Ireland Swimming and Swim for a Mile. We also support Swim Ireland and its elite athletes when they compete on the international stage.
In early 2020, we signed a 2-year deal to become the Youth Development sponsor of Camogie Ireland. Through the sponsorship, we support the All-Ireland Post-Primary Camogie Schools Championships as well as the All-Ireland Minor Camogie Championships, and the Association’s Camán to Croker and Hurl With Me development initiatives. Under the partnership, we aim to engage with our stores in the communities that we serve and partner with local Camogie Clubs to activate their initiatives over the lifetime of the agreement. In keeping with the Camogie Association ethos of inspiring young women and girls to play and empowering them to stay in the sport, we will seek to bring community involvement to the forefront of the partnership.